Re: Hostnames

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, Rico -mc- Gloeckner wrote:

Ok, this doesn't work ;)

> The Hostname must be really assigned to your machine's IPs.
> Another Point: if you use 127.0.0.1 (or corresponding Hostnames)
> as the Servername, your machine will not connect to it via privtae
> or realworld IPs (but this is based on your routingtables).
>
> i.e. if you want to be user@localhost host on irc, you should use
> irc <nick> 127.0.0.1
> instead of
> irc <nick> irc.crowy.org    (example :)
This doesn't work too. It no difference if I connect to 127.0.0.1,
localhost, local IP or global IP, I have always the same host, knux.nu,
which is in the
/etc/hosts:193.77.28.55		knux.nu

If I connect to server from a local network my hostname is @192.168.x.x

p.s.My ISP doesn't have reverse DNS lookup if it matters.

> The Point with changing /etc/hosts is that ircd uses an own
> resolver library and caches your data, so changing anything
> there wouldnt take effect immediately. You either have to
> restart ircd or show patience.
Aha, it caches hosts... and refreshes on... ?

--

Another thing, what flags should I have in Oper mode? If I toggle 'oper
mode' in BitchX, I get about 5 'Unknown mode flag' and it gives me just

I am using 2.10.3+cX7.: irc.hudci.org aeEfFHijJkMrRu

Thanks for all your help.
You guys have a marry christmas and a happy new year ;)