Re: Maximum number of simultaneous connections

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 12:08:37PM +0530, Patil vinay wrote:
> hi,
>
>     I am using ircd server with Suse linux 6.1 os, irc server is not able to serve more thatn  40 simultaneous connections.
> IS their any limit, pls. redirect me to the resource where i can find some help ...

Ircd has alot ways to restrict the number of users.  The most important
one is a compile time option, in config.h.

#define MAXCONNECTIONS  50

That's the default, and probably the limit your hitting. That 50 includes
open ports, and things like that, so you never get the total number you
specify there.  You want to change that value, and compile again.

There are other options in ircd.conf.  The Y-lines also contain a max
number of clients in that class, for a certain I-line.  You might want to
take a look at example.conf

Everything should be properly documented in the INSTALL file, you might
want to read that one too.

> I am getting following exception on 41st connection --
> 10055 Connection reset by peer

ircd should give an error reply, it should not just close the connection.

PS. This is an old mailingslist.  The address is changed to
ircd-users@xxxxxxxx  You might also be running an old version of ircd if
you find this address.  You can get the newest at ftp.irc.org/irc/server

Kurt