Re: Error:too many connections open

>         I have installed,compiled and configured ircd.It works as long
> as there is only one connection but gives an error "Too many connection
> open" if more than one user on the same server tries to connect to
> it.

Make sure the Max connections (maximum FD's) is a decent number, 256 or
1024 usually.

> But when I set the MAX LINKS  # in config.h it works as long as the #
> satisfies the no. of users.I have put a comment on the Y-lines  in
> ircd.conf just for testing.What does the <class no.> mean in the Y-line
> in ircd.conf..Is the above error related to the Y-line.

You need to set Y lines to allow the proper number of users.  Without
explicit Y lines, it will use values that are #define'ed in config.h which
are very conservative.  example.conf will be your best source, but an
example is below:

Y:1:90::100:500000:3:10

The 1 is the class (used in I, O, C, N lines)
90 is the ping timing
The third field is unused
The 4th field is what you are interested in, it describes the maximum
 links permitted (per I line)
The 5th field is the maximum sendQ
6th and 7th are for "clone control", 6th on your server, 7th on the whole
 network

Make sure that your I line specifies the Y line class you want
for example:

You will most likely want different Y line classes for each "class" of
client.  One for normal clients, one for opers, and a few for servers
seems to be the standard for small networks.

Good luck and read through example.conf.  It has much more information
than you realize.