Re: STARTTLS and ircd

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 09:37:15PM +0100, Thomas Kuiper wrote:

> > > sure, the server is a "client" only too :) but I think sending
> > > STARTTLS or STLS over the connection might confuses the peer
> > > (at this time) :)
> >
> > I meant that a secure connection could be built up by privmsgs :) But this
> > requires special clients. And this is not a question of the server.
>
> maybe someone make a DCC-SSL extension :-) Its only about 6 commands.
> If you want to put SSL in PRIVMSG you must use MIME or BINHEX encoding
> since the ircd doesn't accept all kind of characters. This way it would
> be possible at clients imho, but also takes more bandwidth.
> Hm, security<->bandwidth, I think the first one is more important :)
>
> Engerim

Enge, if you add this add it fully (client,server,service), let the client
developers adapt a bit, anyway the only client we always wait is miRC. I know
that the rest of the clients will adapt. Just make it full & optional so any of
those three can be enabled & disabled.

--

PGP Public Keys:
	- (finger://fusion.unit.cc/krome)