Re: STARTTLS and ircd

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Greg Budai wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Thomas Kuiper wrote:
>
> > > I don't completly agree. Tough a secure connection should be built up at
> > > client level. Even if it goes trough the server.
> >
> > sure, the server is a "client" only too :) but I think sending
> > STARTTLS or STLS over the connection might confuses the peer
> > (at this time) :)
>
> I meant that a secure connection could be built up by privmsgs :) But this
> requires special clients. And this is not a question of the server.

maybe someone make a DCC-SSL extension :-) Its only about 6 commands.
If you want to put SSL in PRIVMSG you must use MIME or BINHEX encoding
since the ircd doesn't accept all kind of characters. This way it would
be possible at clients imho, but also takes more bandwidth.
Hm, security<->bandwidth, I think the first one is more important :)

Engerim