Re: STARTTLS and ircd

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe wrote:

> > sure, the server is a "client" only too :) but I think sending
> > STARTTLS or STLS over the connection might confuses the peer
> > (at this time) :)
>
> One could use a 'special' config line - like zip-link does,
> but maybe it's time for cleaning up the C:line and append a
> new field ... something like 'options' (C(rypt), Z(ip),
> W(hatever)).

I think "abusing" the port field in most cases or adding another
decimal field is the best (so you can use hex lines like with services).
You can still use zip compression over a SSL link :)

> If u have too much time, u could implement a re-negotiation
> on active links (if config changes) too, but thats for fun :)

if sendq > 400000 zip = true? :)

> And maybe it might be better to add a general future-friendly
> "options negotiation" than implementing special protocol tags
> for every new feature.

Yes. Maybe make ircd ESMTP like, telling you what commands he
supports by sending EHLO or so, but I think that needs more thinking.

Engerim