Re: no split modes patch

Thomas Kuiper wrote:
> hey, I posted this patch to ircd-dev for review of people with brain
> like you and I to work cooperatively. To make this clear: The gac patch
> which is still floating around deops and _kicks_ even remote people
> from channels which is imho a _even more_ I-dont-think-I-cause-desynch-
> "solution". gac was never ever posted to this list...

Hmmmm... I'll qualify what I say by reminding people that I'm just an
ordinary user with an interest in how this network 'works'. And perhaps
contributing to this in some small way.

It's quite sad therefore to see the outrage this patch has caused. Now,
personally I disagree with the idea behind the patch. Making it harder
to take serverop on an open server like webbernet (where the patch is
presumably intended to run) will penalise 'normal' users, desperate to
regain ops on their DOSed/nick-collided channel. Instead - the takeover
people will no doubt pick one of the countless smaller (unpatched)
servers that they alone have I-line on (and that none of the channel
regulars do). They'll then take serverop via that.

But Engerim (and Guenthi) should at least be applauded for trying to do
something positive for the net. A ordered debate would be nice - not a
flaming match... :-)

Wull@IRCnet

PS.... Guenthi's much-maligned GAC patch doesn't actually do remote
kicks - besides, any remote kicks received from a server on a client
will result in that server being dropped (check common/parse.c). :-)