Re: !channels

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Christophe Kalt wrote:
[...]
> #1: should /join !foo fail if there are several !<ID>foo's ?
>     (for consistency with most commands? see below.  But i
>      think /join is an exception)

It should fail in listing all those !<id>foo's, so the user can decide
which one to join. Maybe it should also give the client the topic of the
channel, so its easiier for the user to decide which channel to join; but
you maybe want to leave this up to the client.

> all channel related commands understand !<ID>foo names which
> is really the REAL channel name and preferred name
> (preferred in the protocol sense of it, users would prefer
> one without <ID>)
>
> At this point it is probably fairly easy to make all
> commands understand !foo (in the case it's unique, which it
> should pretty much always be).
>
> I am EXTREMELY reluctant to do such a thing.

i dont see a reason why one would want ALL commands be able to use !foo,
since the client would be able to store an internal alias and use it. If
the client doesnt understand it, its still okay, since clients understand
/quote or /raw for the "emergeny"-case

> #2: I believe clients (at the very list, aliases) should
>     easily take care of this and make it friendly to the
>     user.

agreed

~~
mit freundlichen Gruessen / kind regards,

              Rico Gloeckner / mc, ukeer & dufus @IRC
         ( Webmaster www.cmdnet.net / Co-Admin irc.oft.de )
mailto: mc-f@xxxxxxx ! mc@xxxxxxxxxxx ! i.say@xxxxxxx ! 2:2442/5012.16
http:// www.cmdnet.net  ///  www.knuddel.com   ///  blah.blah.de/i.say
 /join  #IRCHelp -^- #Knuddel -^- #Hausboot  -^- #Coders.Ger -^- #FIDO
 * Origin: URA Redneck if you answer the door with a baseball bat ()