Re: Anti-collide patch

On Jan 08, Joern Westermann wrote:
| I've just written a patch for the 2.10.1 ircd to prevent takeovers by
| nick collides.

[technical details]

| So nick colliders cannot take over a channel anymore since the collided
| users rejoin it (with different nicks). No protocol enhancements are
| needed and it is still compatible with other unpatched servers.

Actually, this isn't quite true.  Most large networks suffer
enough from lag to allow a little more sophisticated attack
to succeed.  Basically, somebody with time to waste (and in
my opinion, anybody trying to takeover a channel fits the
description) can repeatedly collide the chanops, if done
fast enough, they might have the opportunity to gain ops.

Another concern is that repeated kills will render the
victim unable to perform any action (except probably desynch
the channel).

In short, I don't think the patch helps much, and it will
probably not be long until you see repeated kills on a
single client.

| The question is: Is such a patch "allowed" or does it change the
| behaviour of the patched server too much to be tolerated/useful in
| IRCNet?

This discussion does not belong to this list, but rather to
ircnet's mailing list(s?).  I encourage you to repost there.
It might be worth posting a summary of the thread here
afterwards.