Anti-collide patch

Hi,

I've just written a patch for the 2.10.1 ircd to prevent takeovers by
nick collides.

 - the collide kill for the collided nick is distributed to other
servers as before.

 - the local collided user is forced to change nick. This is done with a
nick change command between server and client which is at least
supported by ircII and mIRC (haven't tested others). DALNet uses this
command to force a nick change for nicks which are registered by other
users, so all clients usable in DALNet can be used with this patch.
Currently a 4-digit random number is appended to the nick or replaces
the last 4 characters of the nick (depending on previous nick length),
e.g. nick Guenthi -> Guent6387.

 - the new nick is re-distributed to the net as a new user by the
server.

 - the server restores all channels the user was on before the collide
and sets channel op modes (if the user had any before).

So nick colliders cannot take over a channel anymore since the collided
users rejoin it (with different nicks). No protocol enhancements are
needed and it is still compatible with other unpatched servers.

The question is: Is such a patch "allowed" or does it change the
behaviour of the patched server too much to be tolerated/useful in
IRCNet?

I know it's some kind of hack but until we have servers with unique IDs
it would be a simple and efficient solution to prevent takeovers.

Any comments are welcome. Depending on the feedback I'll decide if I
release the patch or dump it into the trash.

Bye
   Guenthi