ircd 2.9.5: running Solaris 2.6, exiting at fclose(stdout)

I'm trying to get ircd 2.9.5 running on a machine with a fresh install
of Solaris 2.6. The server keeps exiting silently (no core dump, just
exiting). I tracked down the problem to sys_init() in ircd/s_bsd.c,
specifically the (void)fclose(stdout); call.

Does anyone know why this is happening? fclose() isn't returning at all,
contrary to the documentation.

Also, I tried compiling with zlib support and found two problems --
there was no #include <zlib.h> in the appropriate place and the compiler
didn't link to -lz, both of which I fixed and things compiled fine after
that. Of course I haven't been able to test it with a running server
yet. I'm just noting it for those of you who care about fixing the
standard distribution.

I also wanted to run DEBUG_MODE, but there were lots of problems with
the compile when I try to define this flag.

Finally, can anyone point me at documentation describing the major
differences between the UnderNet IRC daemon and IRC 2.9.5? I plan on
supporting a large number of simultaneous users on a private, dedicated
IRC network and am particularly interested in scalability comparisons.
I'd really love pointers to any IRC stress testing programs out there,
so I can confirm performance claims myself.

Thanks for your help...

--
James Waldrop                           sulam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Construct Internet Design               http://www.construct.net