Re: some more on "op cheating"

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Martin-Legene <robert@xxxxxx>
To: Christophe Kalt <kalt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ircd-users@xxxxxxxxxxx <ircd-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>; Matthew Sullivan
<mickey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 31 March 1998 13:59
Subject: Re: some more on "op cheating"

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Christophe Kalt wrote:

> Matthew Sullivan brought to my attention the following: Most
> successful op-cheat takeovers are usually done within 10
> seconds of an 'op quit'
>
> Which means that a short lock (<= 1min) on the nicks might
> be an effective, yet not too annoying way to fight this.

If this lock only meant users which hadn't had that nick within the last
minute, it wouldn't be that much of a problem, I suppose.

I don't see how unique ID's solve the problem, unless the client uses
these ID's as well. As I understood it, these ID's were only to be used
between servers?

If I flood someone on a modem and I know he's about to send a mode +o - I
toss the recepient off as well.. What's gained?

Isn't unique ID's not just a halfway solution?

-- Robert Martin-Legène (RM59), Network Manager, DKnet (AS2109), Denmark

   main(){int a[2],b[2];pipe(a);pipe(b);if(fork()){dup2(a[0],0);dup2(b[1],1)
   ;}else{dup2(b[0],0);dup2(a[1],1);write(1,"R",1);}execlp("cat","cat",0);}

----------------------------------

Unique id's would cure it.. as it is the recipient who gets flooded, the
sender is just lagged to the recipient and someone catches it 'on the lag'
rarely by accident, nearly always by flooding the recipient of the mode +o
<nick>  and nick stealing before the mode catches up on the lag. lags of 10
seconds + are common place, when you know how to create them, or just have
enough bandwidth to force them.  However lags of +1 minute are harder to
cause, and are easier to spot by abuse watchers.  A 60 second nick delay
won't stop them, but it will make it a damn site more difficult for them.
Would be nice for the delay not to be enforced in the case of a volentary
quit (ie normal client exit)

Matthew Sullivan
mickey@xxxxxxxxxxx          EuroKrew bot master/programmer against IRC War
Groups