Re: privacy (Re: RFC: OP cheating)

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Christophe Kalt wrote:

> On Mar 17, Ville wrote:

> | Dozens of people already use patches that echo to a local operator channel
> | all the nickchanges, quits, connects, and so forth.

> Yes, and I consider this to be a privacy issue, unless you
> state this in your motd.  This is why these kind of big
> brother patches were never included.

In that I agree, as you can notice from the "I don't believe it [the
user has been set +r] would break any privacy." on top. But I do believe
the other patches do.. Some people have maybe placed a warning in their
motds, most didn't as they "justify" it by telling efnet people monitor
users as well ...

If a feature like that was implemented it would probably get some of the
people that want to actively monitor their clients on the base ircd's
'side'.

- Ville/viha@xxxxxx