Re: Announcing irc2.9.5

| On Wed, Feb 18, 1998 at 05:13:23PM -0500, Christophe Kalt wrote:
| > One of these will be to suppress the usage of the 2.9 JOIN
| > format (:nickname JOIN #channel^Gov).  Future versions will
| > not generate such joins anymore.  In order to make the
|
| !@$%!&#§#@$
|
| I let mirc_kludge defined as suggested and i'm now *very* annoyed on all
| those single MODE +o crap. What a waste of bandwidth! Not even +ooo. *sigh*

MIRC_KLUDGE has always been like this.
the protocol is message based, what do you expect from
translating "JOIN #foo^Go" ?

| I think i'll restart ircd without this "$&%@!% kludge. How is it planned to
| be done in future releases? Did i miss something?

MIRC_KLUDGE is needed because of the ^G syntax, since we are
getting rid of the syntax..

| > transition smooth, it is imperative that all servers on the
| > IRC network be upgraded to 2.9.5 when the JOIN syntax is
| > abandonned.  Not doing so will result in a considerable
| > increase of the amount of bandwidth used during netjoins.
|
| Hmm. What about this V3/m_njoin stuff? It doesn't work like i expected and i
| was not surprised anymore after i saw two #ifdef USE_NJOIN statements in
| s_serv.c. This is nowhere defined! After manually adding the #define to
| config.h my testservers happily started to use the NJOIN command.
|
| What is the indented behaviour? :)

of course.
2.9.5 = transition

you wouldn't want the +o from the kludge between servers,
because the translation ^G -> no ^G isn't efficient.
it's the same with NJOIN

if all servers are >=2.9.5, then no translation is needed
anymore.