Re: ircd.conf newbie help...

On Feb 04, Jeff Hahn wrote:
| The server receives a connection request.  At this time the server sends
| out an ident request and starts a reverse DNS lookup.  When both of these
| return (or after a certain time has passed without answers) the server
| starts processing 'I' lines bottom up (from the end of ircd.conf forward)
| 'til it finds a match.

right.

| Question: Does "*.xyz.com" match "bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"?  Does it try to
| match IP addresses (on an 'I' line with numeric addresses) even if the
| reverse lookup returned a host name?

matches, details on I lines are in INSTALL.txt
numeric addresses are only meaningful on the left side, and
hostnames on the right side, e.g:

I:135.104.26.*::*.research.bell-labs.com:..

(Even tho you'll easily find people using 2 I lines instead
of the above:
I:135.104.26.*::135.104.26.*:..
I:*.research.bell-labs.com::*.research.bell-labs.com:..
but this is useless)

| I'm also playing with server connections.  Can anyone give me some help on
| the C/N lines to have two servers connect to each other with no other
| connections?  Do I need H/L lines?

Check example.conf, there are some useful examples.
If you only have 2 servers, H/L lines are not needed.