ircd.conf newbie help...

Howdy,

I've downloaded and compiled 2.9.4 for test purposes. I'm having a little
trouble interpreting the "sparse" documentation for ircd.conf.

I have ircd up and running, but I want to make sure I understand the order
and priority of the processing of 'I' lines in the config file.

Here's how I see the process as working... Please tell me if (and where)
I'm wrong.

The server receives a connection request.  At this time the server sends
out an ident request and starts a reverse DNS lookup.  When both of these
return (or after a certain time has passed without answers) the server
starts processing 'I' lines bottom up (from the end of ircd.conf forward)
'til it finds a match.

Question: Does "*.xyz.com" match "bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"?  Does it try to
match IP addresses (on an 'I' line with numeric addresses) even if the
reverse lookup returned a host name?

I'm also playing with server connections.  Can anyone give me some help on
the C/N lines to have two servers connect to each other with no other
connections?  Do I need H/L lines?

Thanks for the help,

Jeff