Re: Static Channels

On Sun, 21 Sep 1997, Christophe Kalt wrote:
> | Is this possible with ircd?  and another thing, I also need that the
> not with this version, and I'm not familiar with any version
> allowing this.

Actually, DALnet ircd most definitely doesn't allow channels persist
after all users have left. This has been true also for all other
ircd-based efforts I've seen.

In fact, the only exception seems to be ConferenceRoom for Windows by
Webmaster Inc. which I've seen hanging zero-user channels around; because
this server has a DALnet-compatibility mode I can see some confusion
araising from that.

There's also been some suggestions for EFnet "distributed channel
services" type system based on active channels persisting after users have
left, but I don't believe this has ever been implemented. A number of
ircd's do "reserve" channels after netsplits etc. though.

 -Donwulff

              Our cause is a secret within a secret,
           a secret that only another secret can explain;
          it is a secret about a secret veiled by a secret.