A question about installing ircd...

I'm a new member of this mailing list, so hello, all.

Here's my problem:

I just downloaded irc2.9.2p2 from funet and am trying to install it and am
having some trouble with the second make (make'ing it the first time to run
on the sparc worked like a charm).  I get all sorts of error messages, and
it doesn't work.  Does anyone know of any more detailed documentation on
installing an irc server?  The docs I've got say something along the lines
of 'if it doesn't work, edit the makefile and try again', which isn't
exactly the most helpful thing I've ever read.

I need some form of more detailed reference for the Makefile and also for
the various configuration files.  Hopefully I don't sound too clueless
here; I'm a Jr. SysAdmin here and have only been working with UNIX for a
few months (at the sysadmin level anyway) so this is all relatively new to me.

Thanks for the help.

Nicholas

Nicholas Tang
Programmer / Analyst