Split Mode - How to fix? Misbuild or misconfig?

I've got a server using the ircd build that comes with Debian as ircd-irc2, and it's standalone. It reports it's in "split-mode" but since I don't want to connect it to anything, I don't think it should say it. Well, reading the docs says the program needs a recompile and I'm hoping that that's not so since this is how it came precompiled from the OS vendor (I'm running Debian Sarge), and I'm using a beat-up old computer to run the ircd on.

So my question is - can I get it not to do this or do I need to get the source, and compile it? It's a bit tricky on a 486 to compile anything these days :(

[root@nilgai ~]# ircd -v
ircd 2.11.0 aEFHJKMpRTuXZ
        zlib 1.2.2
        Sat Jan 1 2005 at 15:08:55 UTC #1

[root@nilgai ~]# uname -a
Linux nilgai 2.4.27-2-386 #1 Thu Jan 20 10:55:08 JST 2005 i486 GNU/Linux

-uso.