ircd in split mode

Hello,

I wanted to set up a completely stand-alone ircd server for my own
use. I compiled irc 2.11.0 and set it up; seems to be working fine,
I got eggdrop going, etc.

With one important exception! The server always says it is in split
mode. It therefore will not give channel ops to the first user (or
any user) in a channel. I thought I configured it to be stand-alone;
I commented out all the stuff related to peers and networks etc. Here
is my complete ircd.conf (sanitized) -- any suggestions or pointers to
documentation appreciated! Thanks.

M:irc.example.com:172.16.1.4:Example, St. Paul, MN, USA:6667:000A