Re: double byte support

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 01:15:59AM +0000, michelle tsang wrote:

> Does IRC server support double bype character input for Nickname?

Currently, IRC only allows a few characters in the nickname:
a-z, A-Z, 0-9, []{}\|~^-_

This basily only allows nicknames to be in English.  We will
allow other languages in the future, specially things like
Chinese.

We do plan to allow more characters than that.  In a future
version we will use the UTF-8 charset for nicknames.  I suggest
you use this for other things as well, like a channel name.

Adding UTF-8 support for nicknames could probably be done easily
by just allowing high ASCII characters in it, but it hasn't been
tested yet.

I hope this helps you a little, feel free to ask more questions.

Kurt

PS: Were did you find the old address (ircd-users@xxxxxxxxxxx),
everything should be updated to use @irc.org instead.