Re: How do I connect 5 servers, I need some help !

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 08:25:44PM +0100, Juan Francisco Rodriguez Hervella wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I had the following configuration of IRC servers:
>
> S1 -> S2 -> S3
>
> I had to write something like this inside "ircd.conf" of servers S1 and
> S3:
>
> H:*::S2::
>
> We would like to expand this network with 2 new servers, like this:
>
> S4 -> S5 -> S1 -> S2 -> S3
>
> S4 and S5 belong to other university. I have no control over that
> servers.
>
> We are not able to make this network, and I think that it is a problem
> with H lines.
Definitely.
H:x::server: means "allow all servers which are matching first field (x) to be
linked behind this server".

> Is it sufficient to write this
> (S4)  H:*::S5::
> (S3)  H:*::S2::
> and nothing more in S{5,1,2] ?
No, with only this Hlines S2 would drop S1 after introduction of S5.

> Or do I need to write the following ?
> (S4) H:*::S5::
> (S5) H:*::S1::
> (S1) H:*::S5::
> (S1) H:*::S2::
> (S2) H:*::S1::
> (S3) H:*::S2::
Yes, you need all of them. Also don't forget to #define HUB on S1 (if you don't have already)

JV