Re: connection to a server depending on the source IP

On Tue, 20 Nov 101, Dejan Petronijevic wrote:
> Well, if I don't need that I wouldn't ask that, it's much better even
> to implement that in ircnet, so people won't hunt for I-line on bunch
> of servers, and will use the one fastest to the client, I hope you will
> agree with this one.

That's not true, it's a security issue. You cannot force someone to
automatically open a connection to another irc server without (at least)
asking first! That's why Java apps cannot access anything outside their
sandbox.. Imagine a malicious person, setting up redirection lines on an
irc server to www.junksoft.com port 80, causing a DoS attack to that
site..

Therefore, you are only allowed to *inform* someone for the presence of
another irc server. The best way to do this on ircnet is to use B: lines
(yes, the feature you request is already there).. It's a client issue to
treat B: lines in a proper manner.

Best regards,
Sotiris.