Re: ircd i18n, suggested protocol extension

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 01:33:02PM +0100, Per von Zweigbergk wrote:
> I don't remember if the IRCnet ircd sends a PING before letting the client in, but somehow the server would have to know the language before the MOTD was diplayed. I've thought of several possible kludgy solutions, like ircd sending an interesting PING message with a LANG query integrated in the ping text. Wouldn't break any clients, but might break some clients with the new protocol connecting to a server which happens to coincide with that protocol.

Sending a ping before the client is connected is a violation of
the RFC.  It can easely break a client.

> Any ideas on this approach? Except that it's a bit of work, that is.

I do want some protocol that allows extentions, like this,
between client and server, or server and server.

There just isn't any "clean" way of doing it that I can think of.
The best thing so far is that a client sends some command to the
server before it registers.  But then you can have the client
waiting for the answer of the server, before it continue's, if
the server doesn't know about it.

Most servers don't generate a reply on bad commands while you
aren't authenticated yet.  If you except a reply of the server
before you can continue, this will give a problem.

Note that for this problem it wouldn't give a problem, but for
others it would.

For numeric reply's, we can probably support all possible
language.  But don't expect us to allow all possible nicknames
for instance.  We can't change much about how the protocol is
defined.

Kurt