Re: IRC server sample code

The best source of this information is the ircd source code,
ftp://ftp.irc.org

http://www.irc.org has some documentation as well, plus copies of all of
the IRC related RFC's.

You can also examine source code for clients such as ircii or BitchX, and
the source for bots such as eggdrop or Dancer.  This will give good
information for clients to use.

To learn the way servers communicate with one another, it's often helpful
to set up a test server, and use telnet to simulate a server
connection.  The source code for ircd will tell you how the handshaking
works and the server<->server protocol commands.