Re: how solve irc chinese nickname?

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 04:20:47PM +0800, Jixin Li wrote:
> dear sir:
>      would you pls reply me how to solve chinese nickname to login.
>  thanks a lot!!!
> a new user

IRC wasn't designed with that in mind. It only allows a-z, A-Z, 0-9 and
|\{}[]`^-_ in the nick. You could change ircd to allow more, but that
might cause problems.

The first char is used to see if it's a nick or channel. Therefor a nick
can't start with #, +, ! or a number. The number if for forward and
backward compitibilty.

The char $ also has a special meaning, it's to send to people on a certain
server. This one could easely be changed, the others not.

I don't know about the charset used for Chinese, but if it always meets
those criteria, you could attempt to change ircd to accept it.

There is also the restriction of a max of 9 chars.

You also want all the servers in the net allowing the same nick's, with
the same max lenght, or the other servers will kill you.

The Japanese people seem to use nicks that fit in what is currently
allowed, but use some wide charset for the rest.

Kurt