Re: Request for comment (kline patch)

(redirected to ircd-users, which is the correct place, right?)

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Krome Plasma wrote:

> Kalt why is kline patch as such uncomplete as you specified in one mail earlier ?
> Is there a problem in code or ?

		My opinions on all the current threads:

It is nonsense to think users will move to !channels.  They  never moved
to +channels. We _need_ more working #channels. Be it a patch to disable
ops on split or whatever, that's not really my issue.  It is  just plain
dumb to let people ride the splits after CD expiry. This seriously needs
some thinking.

When this is combined with 2.11's UID, the net will already  have become
a lot user-friendlier. Then the people that actually understand the  net
can go to !channels... Most will prolly reside on #, as in the past.

Though,  people would be  quite a bit better  off, if instead  of simply
stating things are shit,  they bothered  telling how to  improve them or
offered fixes for reviewal themselves.

Again, IMO,  it is good  people submit  patches they  consider useful or
ones they think will help the net.

If the patches only affect local issues, perhaps reducing the  chance of
local abuse, I feel they are heading to the correct direction.  If they,
however, affect the net globally or give local users a benefit, I reckon
they should be discussed to death on ircd-(users|dev).

Generally, votes by majority are stupid.  A one person dictation is just
about as silly.  I'd encourage  actual conversation & discussion  on how
things are done instead of plain overruling of others' opinions.

I also call for a little nerve - it is  quite the best  if people bother
explaining their views.  Not everybody  necessarily thinks the same, but
it's not all  that unlikely  you can  convince  them if you just do your
proposals with some thought and also admit to the downsides of it.

http://www.vip.fi/~viha/irc/guidelines.html chapters 1.0-1.2 are somehow
related to this, I guess.

It's a bit old, though, and I only reviewed it quickly.

PS. As for /kline, I don't need it. Though, I occasionally compile it in,
    in case there are operators with no ircd.conf access. However, I fail
    to see why TkServ in contrib/ isn't enough... People's opinions on /k
    differ, and I say - let them differ.  It doesn't hurt remote servers,
    only occasionally the local ones  -- when unreviewed patches are used
    and found to crash on unexpected input.

--
Regards,

	Ville/viha@xxxxxxxxxx (The IRC6 Project)