Re: IRCOPS: Re: nick collide prevention ideas

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 03:52:10PM +0200, Thomas Kuiper wrote:
> doing this 100 times for a big channel? please not :)

I don't understand? If you 'PRIVMSG #channel :blabla' it's server
duty to distribute message to all proper recipients.

> > How to recognize your friends, if they don't have same user@host each
> > time? Simple. Do it as now, talk to them, then add local binding.
> where should this bindings be stored

In your client, of course. Adapt it to your needs, whatever they are.

> I think unique-id should be there if someone thats /mode mynick +u

No. UniqueID is (for now) for getting rid nick collisions. Getting rid
of nicknames is different idea.

> If someone has set this mode too, he will get this if someone joins
> a channel: UNIQ Engerim :08154711

NICK is fine.

> He can /msg 08154711 and /msg Engerim too.

Yes.

> The ID should be generated
> as CRC32 from servername+originalnickname+signontime really fast and easy.

No. Method for generating UIDs was desribed in my document, and
seems most reasonable.

> so you might wonder now what will happen if another Engerim
> (not thereal one) will try to collide the poor Engerim?
> Simple. Your _prefered_ name gets invalid/deleted (no such nick/channel)
> and only your unique ID can be messaged anymore, if you try to message
> engerim now as user without +u you get a
> "NOTICE $n :Engerim has unique ID 08154711 please message this. "
> You can get this only if servers already have that unique patch!

No. You mix two things again: getting rid of nicks and UID. With UID
your nick would be FNC to your UID, with no nicks at all, there's no
such thing as collision at all.

> Engerim messages the channel now in this format, only for +u users:

Wrong. All clients see its nick as numbers. Why not?

> This is imho the only way to have backward compability and
> a unique ID which allows you still to chat.

No, not the only way. :)

p.