Re: IRCD server not kicking up!

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Gilles L. Chong Hok Yuen wrote:

> Hi,
> im trying to start up the irc server (irc 2.9.5 on Sun Solaris 2.6).
> Modified the inetd.conf file to include "ircd    stream  tcp     wait
> ircd    /usr/local/bin/ircd     ircd -i".
> >From my irc client (MS Chat), i get "Could not connect to server or
> network: 'name of irc server'".
> Doing a "ps -ef | grep ircd" doesnt give anything. Even on command line
> "#ircd - d /usr/local/lib/ircd -h 'name or irc server'" gives nothing.
> First time went up smoothly, i closed the chat client, reopened it n now
> no more irc connection!
> Any suggestion?

	Hello

	Try to start it from the command line. IMHO, starting the server
from inetd is not the right thing to do. Probably there is another ircd
waiting on the port, and the second one cannot start. Try a 'netstat -tn'
and see if someone is waiting on the port ircd.
	You may try to trace the program (there is a way to do it in
Solaris). See where it blows up.

HTH,
					Misa