Re: IRCD cpu usage question

this seems like a powerful enough system to handle ircnet
without any problem (i'm assuming it's dedicated or close to
be);

CPU pikes aren't abnormal but 10 minutes sounds kinda long,
not processing incoming connections is a little more troubling
but could very well be a result of your configuration (SLOW_ACCEPT
define).  Also I would guess it's slow in processing them
rather than totally not processing them (and I mean really
slow:)

one thing that could make the CPU usage a lot worse is if
you have 2.9 (direct or indirect) links.

translating a 2.10 burst (and i would think most big bursts
are now 2.10) for 2.9 is CPU and bw intensive which would be
an issue if you have 2.9 downlinks.

however, if you have a 2.9 server between you and "the world"
and there's a big split/burst internal to the "world", you
also suffer because the 2.9 will cause the burst to be converted
from 2.10 to 2.9. This would mostly affect the 2.9's uplink
CPU but would also cause a high bandwidth usage (and slower
burst processing) for everything that is behind the 2.9 server.

On Apr 08, Cedric Amand wrote:
| Hello Christophe,
|
| Thursday, April 08, 1999, 3:58:49 PM, you wrote:
|
| CK> what kind of system is it?
|
| It's a P2-400 under Linux Debian 2.0.36 with 128 megz
| (A good PC that is)
|
| PS
| Sorry I forgot to mention that in my E-Mail !!!
|
| CK> On Apr 08, Cedric Amand wrote:
| CK> | Hello kalt,
| CK> |
| CK> |   I would like your opinion on a very small topic.
| CK> |   When my IRCD2.10.2p1 splits, it's CPU usage is rising so high it
| CK> |   does not even process incoming connections. It stays at 100% for
| CK> |   around 10 minutes (it seems to rebuild user/channel list)
| CK> |