Unknown Mode Flag error with ircd2.9.5

    I am using ircd2.9.5 on RedHat Linux 5.2
    I use BitchX 75p3+ as my client and connect to my server
    using my IP.

    I have the server compiled and running with one problem...
    When I try to become an operator I get the error msg in my
    client 'Unknown Mode Flag'. I try to manualy set my modes
    with the /mode <nick> <-+mode> , it will only give me +iwO.
    I set an O line for a friend of mine who uses mIRC as their
    client , they have the same error.
    I can see there is something I am doing wrong , but I do not
    know what.
    Any help would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks