Re: LIST, service or fix of code

Hi Christophe,

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Christophe Kalt wrote:

> On Mar 19, Thomas Kuiper wrote:
> | * A service seems not to be able to list channels
> | (well, I wont like to use the 0x? that he gets all
> | channel creation decreation, even if this would be
> | the easiest way.
>
> you don't suggest that the service send a "LIST" to the
> local server for each query, do you?

Well, I would like to, cause otherwise I won't be able to receive
a topic of a channel. And if you do a SERVSET 0x3000 (channelmodes
+ channelcreation) you will see that if you deop a person on
the channel the service will receive the channelmode again (bug?).
So, how can a service get a topic of a channel if not with LIST or TOPIC?
Maybe add a SERVICE_WANT_TOPIC ?

> | On the other hand this wont work if:
> | pro:
> | * The service has a match max, like
> | "/squery listservice list linux*"
> | -listservice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To many matches, use web interface from ludd
>
> exactly.
>
> | * The service could have a delay of 500 ms (flood ctrl) before sending notices.
>
> any service should limit the rate of outgoing traffic.
> (cf doc)
>
> | * The service can PRIVMSG nick!user@host instead of just the nick
>
> it can NOTICE nick!user@host

uhm, yeah, typo :P

> | Doing it via code:
> |
> | Contra:

[...]

> * hard to change/extend

really? I think a service is the same or more work :)

> | pro:
> | * Easier to doubleclick in mIRC :)
> | * easier to use
> |
> | So I would like to vote this out or something :-)
>
> a good service will be more popular (with users) than any ircd
> hack.

Sure, but you need to tell in the motd or somewhere else that they
shall /SERVLIST :)

Greets,
Engerim