Re: ircd - are there more than one?

On Mar 11, Dave Logan wrote:
| my task is to install the latest ircd.  we currently run irc2.8.21 on a
| privately managed and accessible worldwide network.  i'm not sure which
| server software i should download.  my research has turned up server
| software for EFnet, IRCnet, Undernet, DALnet, etc.  i suppose i'd want
| to use the latest release of the server software that would replace our
| current version.
|  if i do indeed need to ensure that i acquire the correct server
| software than
| 1. how can i find out what server software type (ie EFnet, Undernet,
| etc) our current 2.8.21 is?

2.8.21 is the ancestor for both EFnet and IRCnet.

IRCNet is now up to 2.10.2p1, but the last version to support
2.8.x links is 2.9.3 so you cannot upgrade directly to 2.10.x
unless you can upgrade all your servers at the same time.

there may be other issues to consider depending on how many
severs and the peak number of concurrent users on your
network.