Re: forbidding special control chars in idents

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Thomas Kuiper wrote:

> when checking some stuff what is possible with nicks/idents
> I noticed that you can easily have these mirc-color codes
> or bold in your nickname.

Hm, our server forbids them (maybe its the Cr+FL patch). Problem is (don't
know why is it like this) when you try to use such code in a telnet
session:

NICK blaf
USER x^C3 . . x
PING :blaf
PING :Unknown command
PONG :blaf
JOIN #test
:blaf!~x3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx JOIN :#test
:irc.pht.sk 353 blaf = #test :blaf @pht
:irc.pht.sk 366 blaf #test :End of /NAMES list.
PRIVMSG #test :hi
:irc.pht.sk 421 blaf PRIVMSG :Unknown command
PRIVMSG #test :hi
QUIT :bye
ERROR :Closing Link: blaf[~x3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] (bye)
Connection closed by foreign host.

whilst other (non-telnet client sees):

blaf [~x <F4> <FD>3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] has joined #test
<blaf> hi
SignOff blaf: #test (bye)

the F4 and FD are just characters with those numbers (pine didnt accept
them, heh).

i wonder why the connection works only with half of typed commands..
also, if you use such ident (with telnet) and have identd installed, it
goes like this:

NICK blaf
USER x^C3 . . x
JOIN #test