Re: Very strange behavior

  Kalt> These problems occur when there are several simultaneous
  Kalt> server connections being established.  The result is a server
  Kalt> collision and it isn't always dealt with correctly.

  Kalt> A way to avoid this is to tune the auto connections, and be
  Kalt> careful to avoid having everything auto connect to everything
  Kalt> else.

This is a little ambiguous -- I'll assume you mean that it's bad to
have A configured to auto-connect to B as well as B configured to
auto-connect to A.

  Aleksi> Yes, on larger networks the standard is that the minimum
  Aleksi> server autoconnect period is two to five minutes. This
  Aleksi> usually avoids the problem. On smaller networks you might
  Aleksi> want to have smaller autoconnect periods but in that case I
  Aleksi> would suggest that you make sure that the autoconnect
  Aleksi> interval of each C:line on the whole network is a different
  Aleksi> prime number.

It's also convention to arbritarily define a "direction" of server
connections, and only auto-connect to servers "upstream" while relying
on "downstream" servers to connect to you. If I'm understanding Kalt
correctly, then it's this that matters (due to what sounds like a race
condition), not the auto-connect frequency (which only masks the
problem). It's also why you've got to be careful when doing a manual
/connect -- an auto-connect might be underway.

 - Andrew
--
#!/usr/bin/env python
print(lambda s:s+"("+`s`+")")\