Re: Bquiet

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Christophe Kalt wrote:

> Eumel submitted a patch similar to undernet's Bquiet
> feature.  It prevents somebody who's banned on a channel
> from changing nicks, or talking; unless this person is +v
>
> I'm decided to include this in the next release, let me know
> if you think it's a bad thing(tm).

Given the concern about the impact on normal users of the
suggestion about temporary +r lines, I am surprised not to
see similiar response to this patch. Especially given the fact
that temporary +r lines are determined by the servers, but
Bquiet can be used by an arbitrary chanop (provided you share
a channel of course.)

I think the prevention of talking on the channel while being
banned is good. I am more hesitant towards preventing nick
changes, because banning somebody from a channel is a local
event, whereas preventing them from changing nicks is a global
event.

A slightly different solution could be to prevent talking and
to increase the penalty of changing nicks while banned. I am
aware that this is also global, but it seems less exploitable
too me.