Reducing nick-collision takeovers

Hi,

one of the main problems of most IRCers are channel takeovers. Of course,
channel takeovers are generally not a problem in itself, since you can
always join #channel2 or whatever and continue chatting.
But this 'philosophy' is hard to explain to most users who want keep always
'their' regular channels.

Since takeovers are most effective when they are done by nick-collisions,
the following idea might well reduce the number of takeovers by reducing the
number of people killed by a nick collision:

When a client (user) registers (right after connecting to the server), one
could add for each new user a random number (between 0 and n) to its
structure. Then, when a nick collision occurs, the two involved servers
check the random number of 'the other' user. If, for example, it's higher
than the number of the local user, the latter gets killed. If it's lower,
the local user doesn't get killed. If both random numbers are equal, both
users get killed.

The whole idea would make it very hard to takeover a channel which
has more than a few channel operators (more than 1 - 4 maybe). [Altho i
don't know if this would really work as expected in reality...]

Bye, Kasi

PS I know, this is not an elegant solution...
PPS I do still think, 'forced nick change' is so far the best approach.

--
Kaspar Landsberg, <kl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>