Re: possible bug?

> a nick collision (one which appears as "Nick collision on ...") is very
> often acompanied by a "Dropping unknown" server message concerning the same
> nick.

> *** Killed: mickey_[lecuyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx].
> *** Dropping unknown mickey_ brought by ircd.funet.fi

> Is really just some lag the source of the 'problem' or could this be a bug?

You guessed it right. Once your server has issued KILL for
the collided nick, internally your server will ignore
packets from that nick. If the killed user was chatting
on a global channel for example, your server might receive
valid messages originating from the other server until
your KILL has reached the peer.

The "Dropping.." notice was added in one phase to track down
ghosts. I personally haven't seen these 'ghost notices'
except shortly after KILLs. I recall 2.8 passed on all
messages even from 'ghosts'.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lut.fi/~ruokonen/";> Vesa.Ruokonen@xxxxxx </A>