Re: logging of identd-responses in ircd

   > at the moement, ircd2.9.2 seems to log only the first 8 chars of the
   > identd-response in users/rejects if the response is rather long.
   > is this supposed to be this way?

   Yes, it is. The ircd uses ident reply for the username part in
   WHOIS in the first place. For logging purposes it hasn't be seen
   as necessary to prepare for the worst case.

which is totally bogus anyway.  but that's another bug in ircd
i never expect to be fixed ....

   > TYPE OTHER, it would be fine to get the whole string (maybe up to
   > 256 chars) to be able to support the admin of a misbehaving machine.

   I personally don't want so long idents to be logged in my files.

"personally".  personal opinions should stop ircd from being able
to do something.  i personally think that ident and the prefix crap
should be totally optional.

   So far I have manually checked few longer idents if I have needed
   them. You can do that by checking port numbers on each end, and
   telnetting to the ident port of remote host from your server host,
   and feed the port numbers separated by comma. (rfc1413)

why should `i' have to do what the computer is much more easily
able to do for me?