Flood control of clients

Hello.

I'd like to have informations about the flood control made by the ircd.

In the rfc1459 (which seems to be really outdated), the following
algorithm is described :
        * check to see if client's `message timer' is less than
          current time (set to be equal if it is);
       * read any data present from the client;
       * while the timer is less than ten seconds ahead of the current
          time, parse any present messages and penalize the client by
       * while the timer is less than ten seconds ahead of the current
          time, parse any present messages and penalize the client by
          2 seconds for each message;
          2 seconds for each message;

I made tests, and unfortunately, it seems to be wrong (the MODE commands
seem to be more "controlled" than the PRIVMSG for instance, and the size
of the PRIVMSG is important too).

I tried to look at the ircd sources, but I didn't find where this control
is made.

Has anyone got a clue about this feature ?

---
Hugo HAAS, Engineering Student at Ecole Centrale Paris, France
E-mail : hugo@xxxxxxxxxx	IRC : Bartman